Saturday, March 22, 2008

I am is Who I am - unique individual

Second Post
Brewer’s optimal distinctiveness theory (1991) suggests that people seek affiliations with groups that enable them to maintain an ideal balance between the desires to fit in and stand out.


The picture on the right demonstrates optimal distinctiveness theory where people want to maintain a balance between similarity and difference. All of us were graduates of Nanyang Polytechnic (similarity), but the way we dress makes us different from each other (difference).





The optimal distinctiveness theory shows us that being too similar or too different causes a feeling of social discomfort just like the picture shown below. I was the girl in pink top. I was the only one that tied my hair up. I was very uncomfortable with the way I look because I was different from the rest.


4 comments:

FroStbiTe said...

hmmm. interesting. but there are others who make use of opportunities, such as yours, being an entirely unique individual, to their advantage - instead of discomfort, they parade in being the 'only one'.
still, u're absolutely spot on. i wouldn't want to be in tee-shirt and jeans when all others are in suit, yet i wonder be at peace if twenty other guys wore the SAME suit.

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

Well, I learnt my lesson. I didn't want to be the 'only one'. I felt so strange, I didn't want to be in the pictures but the mum of the birthday gal insist I take because this shot was only for females. Aarghh..

Now, I sort of ask my gang whenever we hang out what they wearing so I would not be left out or the 'only one'. Ha..

Miss Sanguine said...

But I do wonder if it's because, we do not want to stand out too much; so we blend in with the rest. You know, as in being too attention seeking.

And it's weird how sometimes when this big group of girls ALL wear outrageous outfits which really makes me go oh-so-(grossly)dazzled but they feel totally at ease with themselves and the attention their receiving. But wonder how would one feel if she were the ONLY one in that outfit yea?

So, if we looked different from the rest, it is because we'll feel that more attention from others will be focused on us, OR really just because we feel out of place from OUR group?

Am I being confusing here?